Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Canola Oil

So what is the business with canola oil. I thought it was made from the canola plant. After all sunflower oil is made from sunflower seeds and olive oil is made from olives. And peanut oil is made from peanuts,etc. No. It is made from rapeseed oil - which has been refined so as to make it 'generally considered fit for human consumption'. I thought I was quite clued up about all this. I even asked some of my friends - and we were all in the same clueless quagmire. 'Canola' is derived from the word 'canadian'. Hmmmm. Do the research and you'll find a lot about it. I think the jury is still out on how safe (or not) it is - but I do know that as I am opposed to GM then I won't be buying it. I threw out what I had and have started spreading the word. So we just have olive oil now. And butter. Ah well....

No comments: