Saturday, May 12, 2007

Artificial colourings

So having got rid of the trans fats from the pantry shelves, how about colourings? I realised that they made an impact on the body when I saw how my elder daughter reacted. It wasn't pretty. I won't go into much detail but nappies could be lurid colours. Have you ever made cakes or play dough or something and added food colouring. It takes a lot of it to achieve a bright colour. Ever stopped to think what those dyes are made from? Some countries have banned a lot of them; they aren't permitted here in baby food; there are limits to how much manufacturers can add to a food.

The research is very interesting. There are so many thousands of studies but one of the latest which examines the cocktail effect of just a few additives has raised huge cause for concern. And do we need to colour our food? I hate to see kids scoffing down brightly coloured sweets and candies. What's wrong with the real colour of food? So you go through the pantry again and realise that most foods have colourings. Some switched-on manufacturers have already changed to natural colourings. Yay! Watch what happens in the next few years - I wonder how long it will be before they are banned altogether? Look at the rise of 'natural' flavoured candies (with colours derived from beetroot and so on). Even Smarties have gone natural. You might like to start wondering why. Is it just because they have our best interests at heart - or do you think they are just getting ready for new legislation?

Ditch the colourings. Notice any change in your kids behaviour yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! I genuinely leaning how it' s mild on my eyes as ably as the info are warmly written. I am wondering how I may be notified whenever a original record has been made. I own subscribed to your rss gratified which should do the dodge! Get a nice age!
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]