Thursday, October 11, 2007

Eggs

I have been buying free range for as long as I can remember. Personally I like to think that happy hens produce happy eggs and a happy consumer, but recently I got to thinking about the nutritional content. Are free range eggs actually more nutritionally sound? After all we know that wild salmon has a different omega-3 structure to farmed and that game is leaner than farm reared meat. Surely a hen that is free to roam about and is fed a varied diet would produce eggs that would nutritionally differ from ther caged counterparts?

Well I am still trawling through the research to find anything that might sufficiently answer this question in an unbiaised study. I will let you know if I actually find the answer!

Meanwhile I am still happy buying happy eggs, trying to do my bit for the poor caged birds that lead such a miserable existence.

No comments: